cuban shield

Cuba City Hall

The trusted source for Cuban documents

cuban shield


Cuban Passports


Applying for a Cuban Passport

Cuban passports are issued for six years but must be renewed every two years. In order to apply for a Cuban passport, you must bring your completed application along with the following information to the Cuban Embassy in your country (Cuban Interests Section in the United States) or to a Cuban passport office in Cuba.

How to Apply for Your First, Lost or Stolen Cuban passport

In order to get a Cuban passport you must have an original Cuban birth certificate from Cuba. You will also need two 2" x 2" identical color photos showing your entire face. Then, fill out the passport application (only in Spanish). Use black ink with capitalized letters. You will then have to find a Cuban passport office in Cuba or at an Embassy or Consulate in your country.

  • Original copy of your Cuban Birth Certificate
  • Identity card or driver's license
  • Passport photos - two full face photographs of 2 inches by 2 inches taken from the front, dressed appropriately, with nothing in your hair and no glasses
  • Processing fees
  • Completed Cuban passport application with no errors, also occupation, height in centimeters, two references of family in Cuba with their complete information.

Cost if dealing directly with the Cuban Interests Section in Washington DC.

$350 (processing fee)
$20 (if the application is send by mail)
$5 (mailing fee)

This procedure could take several months.

Cuban Passport Renewals

If your Cuban passport has expired (six years after issuance), you must renew it for a new one and will need to submit:

  • Original expired passport
  • One photograph of 2 inches by 2 inches taken from the front with nothing in your hair and no glasses.

Directly with the Cuba Interest Section
$350 (processing fee)
$20 (if the application is sent by mail)
$5 (mailing fee)

You must then extended your renewal every two years by applying with a Cuban passport office and pay the following fees:

$160 (processing fee)
$20 (if the application is sent by mail)

Cuban Passport Habilitation

”Passport Habilitation” is the entry permit to Cuba. This only applies to Cuban passports. Once this is granted, the habilitation is valid for life unless for some reason it is repealed. Once the passport is authorized, you can enter the country from any country whenever necessary.

If you have a valid Cuban passport and only need the Habilitation authorization you must send:

Original passport to the Cuban passport office with a $20 processing fee.

For Cubans living outside of Cuba

It is not necessary for Cubans who reside abroad to ask for permission to enter Cuba. However, emigrants must request the Cuban Consulate to enable their passport before their first trip to Cuba. Once the passport is enabled, this status is permanent. There is no charge for this process. The Cuban passport is then valid for thirty days with the possibility for an extension of thirty more days.

For Cubans with Permission of Residence Abroad (PRE), they can enter Cuba without the need for this process. For those with Permission of Indefinite Exit (PSI), they should request their "Permit of Entrance (PE3)" from the Consulate and plan ahead to allow enough time for this process. Total cost for this process is $100.

For people with "Travel Validity" (Vigencia de Viaje - VV), they can continue using that document to enter Cuba until it expires.

Dual Nationality

The Government of Cuba does not recognize the US nationality of US citizens who are born in Cuba and may not recognize the US nationality of those born in the US to Cuban parents.

These individuals will be treated solely as Cuban citizens and may be subject to a range of restrictions and obligations, including military service. The Cuban government may require Cuban-American citizens to enter and depart Cuba using a Cuban passport.

Using a Cuban passport for this purpose does not jeopardize one's US citizenship; however, such persons must use their US passports to enter and depart the United States. In some instances, dual nationals may be required to obtain exit permission from the Cuban government in order to return to the United States. There have been cases of Cuban-American dual nationals being forced by the Cuban government to surrender their U.S. passports.

Despite these restrictions, Cuban-American dual nationals who fall ill may only be treated at hospitals for foreigners (except in emergencies). See the Consular Access paragraph below for information on Cuba's denial of consular services to Cuban-American dual nationals who have been arrested, as well as the Children’s Issues paragraph below for information on how dual nationality may affect welfare inquiries and custody disputes.

Cuban-American dual nationals should be especially wary of any attempt by Cuban authorities to compel them to sign “repatriation” documents. The Government of Cuba views a declaration of repatriation as a legal statement on the part of the dual national that she/he intends to resettle permanently in Cuba. In several instances, the Government of Cuba has seized the US passports of dual nationals signing declarations of repatriation and has denied these individuals permission to return to the United States.

Consular Access

U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a copy of their U.S. passport with them at all times so that, if questioned by local officials, proof of identity and US citizenship is readily available. The original should be kept in a secure location, preferably in a safe or locked suitcase.

Cuba does not recognize the right or obligation of the US Government to protect Cuban-born American citizens, whom the Cuban government views as Cuban citizens only. Cuban authorities consistently fail to notify the U.S. Interests Section of the arrest of Cuban-American dual nationals and deny US consular officers access to them. They also withhold information concerning their welfare and treatment.

Spanish Nationality for Cuban Citizens

If you left Cuba without a Cuban passport and have family ties to Spain, you may be able to apply for a Spanish passport. Please contact us for more information.

Cuban Consulates

aka Cuban Passport Offices

United States

Cuban Interests Section

Tel: (202) 797 8518
Fax: (202) 797 8521

Address: 2630 16 St. N W.

Washington D. C. 20009


Cuban Embassy in Mexico City, Mexico
Presidente Masaryk #554 entre Bernard
Shaw y Linea Ferrocarril Cuernavaca, Colonia
Polanco, Delegacion Miguel Hidalgo. C.P. 11560,

Phone: (525) 280 8039, 5280-9864 , 5280-8140
Fax: (525) 280 8039
Office Hours: 8:30a.m. to 2:30p.m. & 3:30p.m. to 5:30p.m.

Cuba Cuban Consulate in Cancun, Mexico
No. 17 Pecari St.
Super Manzana 20
Municipio Benito Juárez
Cancún, Quintana

Phone: (52-98) 884-3423
Fax: (52-98) 884-3423


Address: 388 Main St., Ottawa, ON, K1S 1E3
Phone: (613) 563-0141
Fax: (613) 563-0068

and in Montreal

Consul General: Mr. Sergio Velez Camhi

Address: 4542-4546 Décarie Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec, H3X 2H5

Phone: (514) 843-8897 / 843-7559 / 843-7862
Fax: (514) 845-1063

About us

Cost for certificates


Formulario de Petición

 For more information, call Caribe Express in Miami at (908) 282-2096 and ask for Belkis or Annia.

Ask about Cuban Passports too!

For current customer updates, contact Sergio in Cuba at 

We recommend this AirBnB Food and Drink Experience... Cuban flavors: Food, Rum and Cigars 

Cuban American Directory

Cuban American Forum

Cuban American News

Ministries of Cuba

Cuba News and Commentary Updated Every Day

View Havana Journal's profile on LinkedIn

Sign up for our Cuba Watch newsletter

Havana Journal, Inc. BBB Business Review